The Five Best Things to Eat When You're Sick
April 7, 2015No Comments
Health.com talked to an expert about the best things to eat and drink when you’re sick. Here are five different things, depending on what’s wrong.
1. If you’re nauseous, things like saltines and pretzels are best because they cut down on stomach acid. But avoid alcohol, caffeine, anything greasy, and anything spicy.
2. If you’re constipated, eat anything high in fiber, and drink a ton of water. Or if you’re the OPPOSITE of constipated, remember the acronym B.R.A.T. . . . bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.
3. For a sore throat or a runny nose, drink WARM tea, not hot. Hot tea can can make sore throats worse, and so can juice or anything acidic. And obviously don’t eat something scratchy like chips that might irritate it.
4. If your entire body aches from the flu, eat something with a lot of magnesium, like nuts, bananas, beans, leafy greens, and avocados. But avoid caffeine and alcohol, because they’ll make you dehydrated.
5. To get rid of a headache, drink a full glass of water, and see if you feel better in 20 minutes. Sometimes a little caffeine can help too, but you should drink one glass of water for every cup of coffee you have.
And don’t put any artificial sweeteners in it, because they tend to make headaches worse.