14 Things You May Not Have Known About 2014's Biggest Songs
December 12, 2014No Comments
Someone compiled a list of interesting facts about this year’s biggest singles . . . and here are the highlights:
1. Beyoncé considered recording Meghan Trainor’s hit “All About That Bass”.
2. The choir in the background of Sam Smith’s “Stay With Me” is really just his voice layered 20 times.
3. Charli XCX wrote “Boom Clap” for Hilary Duff but was told it wasn’t “cool enough” for her.
4. The Ying Yang Twins recorded a verse for Ariana Grande’s song “Problem” before she insisted producers reach out to Iggy Azalea.
5. Iggy Azalea and Rita Ora’s collaboration “Black Widow” was written by Katy Perry.
6. While shooting the music video for Taylor Swift’s “Shake If Off”, producers played heavy metal music outside the soundstage to prevent anyone from hearing the song before its release.
7. While the line “If you want, you can pet on my Harley” from Florida Georgia Line’s “Sun Daze” sounds dirty, it’s really a reference to Tyler Hubbard’s dog. He has a golden retriever named Harley.
8. With “Birthday”, Katy Perry wanted to write a song that sounded like ’90s Mariah Carey.
9. Sia wrote “Chandelier” about her struggles with alcoholism.
10. “Therapy” is one of four songs Sam Smith helped Mary J. Blige write.
11. Taylor Swift became the first female artist to replace herself at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart when “Blank Space” overtook “Shake It Off” for the top spot.
12. Miranda Lambert bought Carrie Underwood a motorcycle as a thank you present for dueting on “Somethin’ Bad”.
13. 5 Seconds of Summer’s hit “Amnesia” was co-written by Benji and Joel Madden.
14. Pitbull was featured on the album version of Jennifer Lopez’s “Booty” only to be replaced by Iggy Azalea on the single.